Below are six examples of the worst treats (candy corn included) this Halloween season, courtesy of SugarChecked.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups - Made with non organic-GMO peanuts, refined sugar and preservatives (a health bomb in a cup). With 13 grams of fat and 21 grams of sugar in just one package (two cups), Reese’s Pieces are a must-avoid candy especially if your child is at risk of being overweight or developing early onset diabetes.
- Pumpkin Oreo Cookies - This treat is highly processed as it contains enriched wheat flour, artificial colors/flavors, synthetic vitamins, high fructose corn syrup and loads of sugar (12 grams for two cookies). Nowhere in the ingredient list does it list “pumpkin.” A combination of these ingredients can lead to an unbalanced blood sugar and indigestion as our bodies have difficulty absorbing synthetic vitamins.
- Starburst - These processed fruit chews are full of artificial flavors,colors, trans fats, sugar and are the worst candy for promoting tooth cavities and decay as each packet of 10 contains 22 grams of sugar. These fruit chews can increase acidity in the mouth as they are sour and sweet and can break down tooth enamel.
- Candy Corn - This candy mainly consists of sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors/flavors which are the worst things for kids with ADD, asthma and allergies. High fructose corn syrup is the most refined sugar available, it's genetically modified, will spike blood sugar levels, and if eaten in excess will lead to weight gain.
- Skittles - These little pieces of the rainbow are made with high fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, hydrogenated palm oil, and artificial colors and flavors which research shows are linked to hyperactivity, cancer and food allergies.
- Tootsie Rolls/Pops - These are the worst type of candy for teeth as they are waxy and stick to teeth. This candy is made of hydrogenated soybean oil, artificial flavors/colors and 6 pieces contain 20 grams of sugar.